Christopher M. Varano
As a member of the firm's Litigation Department, Chris’s practice focuses on various areas of commercial and business-related litigation matters. He has experience representing clients in complex cases at both the trial and appellate levels.
Chris represents both corporate and individual clients in contract disputes, partnership disputes, breach of contract claims, unfair and deceptive business practices, employment disputes, and administrative investigations. He is adept at understanding the many nuances of business, partnership, and employment agreements and has experience in representing companies and individuals in these areas.
Chris’s recent matters include:
- Representation of a global law firm in a legal malpractice action
- Representation of a prominent Philadelphia real estate developer in a partnership dispute
- Representation of a pharmaceutical manufacturing company in a dispute involving a former employee regarding various contract, employment and fiduciary duty claims
- Representation of a global law firm in a litigation dispute involving defamation and employment related claims
- Representation of a Philadelphia taxicab company in a litigation case regarding PPA Medallion transfers
Before Fox Rothschild
Prior to joining Fox, Chris was a litigation associate in the Philadelphia office of a global law firm, where he counseled clients in white-collar, securities, and complex commercial litigation disputes. In addition, Chris co-chaired the firm’s Education Law pro bono practice group.
Some of his previous representations include:
- Represented a New York real estate investor in connection with a complex civil litigation dispute concerning the control of a $1 billion nursing home company and related claims against the operating company’s owners and the investor’s former attorneys
- Represented a hedge fund in an internal investigation in connection with the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission “expert networks” insider trading investigation
- Represented former officers and directors of a business credit card issuer in securities and ERISA class actions
- Defended a senior investment banking executive in SEC and New York State Attorney General investigations into auction rate securities
- Represented individual directors accused of fraud in a derivative action in the Isle of Jersey
- Defended a client from claims before the U.S. Supreme Court
Chris also handled a variety of pro bono matters at his former firm, representing clients in federal civil rights, habeas corpus, eviction, and First Amendment litigation.
Chris was also a former staff attorney for the Education Law Center, where he represented students and handled education law matters. He is also a former assistant to professors at both The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and University of Pennsylvania Law School.
Chris previously worked as a summer analyst for the private wealth management arm of Morgan Stanley, where he assisted in managing high net worth client portfolios.
While at University of Pennsylvania Law School, Chris obtained a Wharton Certificate in Business and Public Policy. As an undergraduate, he traveled to the United Kingdom to study at Oxford University’s St. Catherine’s College.