Gerard P. Norton, Ph.D.
Co-chair of the firm’s Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Group and a member of the Steering Committee of the Life Sciences Practice Group, Gerry has extensive experience litigating complex matters pertaining to patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and breach of contract. Gerry is also the former chair of the Intellectual Property Department.
He counsels clients regarding:
- Validity and scope of intellectual property rights
- Portfolio development
- Strategic positioning of corporate assets, opinion work, and evaluating legal risk in the pharmaceutical and medical device industries
- Evaluating third-party intellectual property rights related to chemistry and molecular biology, such as therapeutic compounds, biopharmaceuticals, formulations, manufacture, importation, methods of use, and related FDA issues
- Representation of intellectual property matters and transactions relevant to corporate acquisitions and divestitures
Gerry also provides skilled knowledge to manufacturers and developers in the fields of pharmaceutical, biotechnology, chemical and medical device arts.
Gerry's clients include Fortune 100 companies as well as universities and other not-for-profit organizations.
Representative Matters (Federal Circuit Appeals)
- Genentech, Inc. v. Novo Nordisk A/S, 108 F.3d 1361 (Fed. Cir. 1997);
- Bio-Technology Gen. Corp. v. Genentech, 80 F. 3d 1553 (Fed. Cir. 1996);
Representative Matters (District Litigation)
- Mr. Water Heater Enterprises, Inc. v 1-800-Hot Water Heater, LLC, 648 F. Supp. 2d 576 (S.D.N.Y., 2010);
- Fifth Generation Computer Corp. v. IBM, 678 F. Supp. 2d 184 (S.D.N.Y. 2010);
- Howmedica Osteonics Corp. v. Tranquil Prospects Ltd., WL 2750228 (N.D.I 2009); Howmedica Osteonics Corp. v. Tranquil Prospects Ltd., 482 F.Supp.2d 1045 (N.D.Ind.,2007);
- Precimed, S.A. v. Orthogenesis, Inc., 2006 WL 6160497, 2006 Markman 6160497 (E.D.PA. 2006);
- IMCOR Pharmaceutical Co. and Alliance Pharmaceutical Corp. v. Amersham Health, Inc., Amersham Health As and Amersham plc., 03-2853(SRC) (D.N.J. January 10, 2005);
- Greene, Tweed of Del., Inc. v. DuPont Dow Elastomers, L.L.C., 3002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 21034 (E.D.P.A. 2003);
- Howmedica Osteonics Corp. v. Tranquil Prospects, LTD., 288 F. Supp. 2d. 939 (N.D.I. 2003);
- Greene, Tweed of Del., Inc. v. DuPont Dow Elastomers, L.L.C., 2003 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 15624 (E.D.P.A. 2003);
- Greene, Tweed of Del., Inc. v. DuPont Dow Elastomers, L.L.C., 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 23554 (E.D.P.A. 2002);
- Greene, Tweed of Del., Inc. v. DuPont Dow Elastomers, L.L.C. 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 25709 (E.D.P.A. 2002);
- Greene, Tweed of Del., Inc. v. DuPont Dow Elastomers, L.L.C., 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11389 (E.D.P.A. 2002);
- Greene, Tweed of Del., Inc.v. DuPont Dow Elastomers, L.L.C., 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11522 (E.D.P.A. 2002);
- Greene, Tweed of Del., Inc. v. DuPont Dow Elastomers, L.C.C., 202 F.R.D. 426 (E.D.P.A. 2001);
- Greene Tween of Del., Inc. v. DuPont Dow Elastomers, L.C.C., 202 F.R.D. 418 (E.D.P.A. 2001);
- Genentech, Inc, v. Boehringer Mannheim GmbH, 47 F. Supp. 2d91 (D. Mass 1999);
- Genentech, Inc. v. Boehringer Manheim GmbH, 989 F. Supp. 359 (D. Mass. 1997);
- Genentech, Inc. v. Novo Nordisk A/S, 935 F. Supp. 260 (S.D.N.Y. 1995).
Before Fox Rothschild
Gerry was named partner of an intellectual property law firm in New Jersey, and was an attorney for 10 years at Rogers & Wells and at Clifford Chance in New York. He held a post-doctoral fellowship with Merck, Inc.
Client ResourcesTechnology is No. 1 Priority for U.S. Copyright Office
On October 25, 2011, the U.S. Copyright Office released a paper outlining 17 policy priorities for the next two years. In this podcast, Gerry discusses the highlights of the Office’s plans, including its intention to study and develop an alternative process for resolving small copyright infringement claims, conduct a preliminary analysis of the issues surrounding mass book digitization, and provide analysis and support to Congress in its effort to address a number of issues.Listen to the Podcast
Honors and Awards
- Selected as a "Life Sciences Star" for his outstanding patent work by LMG Life Sciences (2012, 2013)
- Selected for inclusion in a list of “IP Stars” by Managing Intellectual Property (2012, 2013)